How can I protect myself and others?
In order to best protect yourself from COVID-19, use the same preventive measures you would use to protect yourself from other respiratory illnesses, like cold and flu:
- Put distance between yourself and other people (social distancing) if COVID-19 is spreading in your community and avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that you or others frequently touch.
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs before eating and avoid consumption of raw animal products.
- Avoid contact with sick animals and animals living in wet markets.
- Get a flu shot to prevent influenza if you have not done so this season
- Choose healthy sleep, exercise and eating habits that can strengthen your immune system
- Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19.
- Follow advice given by your healthcare provider, your national and local public health authority or your employer on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.